Is The 2020 iPad Pro a Laptop Replacement

I recently went out to my local iPad and iPhone store (US Cellular) with the intent to purchase the iPad Air 3rd generation but found myself leaving with the latest and greatest Apple tablet available. Now I’m not sure how this happened except for my unquestionable, unquenchable, and undeniable desire  to buy Apple products. I will admit that I LOVE Apple. Some people watch football, others get tattoos, while some love cars, me, I’m an Apple guy. My wife says I’m addicted and I have to admit, the argument is leaning in her favor.

However, the new iPad Pro of the year 2020 is at first glance a device of beauty. Like the 2018 iPad we have a more squared off edge look and rounded corners. The pencil again charges magnetically while not in use and the ASK 2020 is available and works fine on the 2018 also. Of course you could spring for the new magic floating keyboard for a bit over $300 (I did NOT) so the device sits elevated above the keyboard. Just a hint here but the 2018 iPad Pro will work on the new keyboard also. The 2020 iPad Pro Also has a newer A12Z chip. I have read it is five to ten percent faster than the 2018 model but not enough in real world use to warrant the upgrade from the 2018 version. The cameras now have an ultra wide lens and a lidar scanner to help AR.

Since I made the purchase I have been steadily using the tablet for little things like setting it up for my use, web surfing, light drawing, and now writing this post.  The tablet has a nice feel to use and feels more laptop like than my older 2017 iPad Pro. The ASK feels nicer to use and sits more sturdy on my lap with two angles to unjust the screen from. As far as Geekbench scores go this tablet has surpassed the MacBook Air and 13 inch MacBook Pro but falls slightly short of the fifteen and sixteen inch models. Some say throttling is an issue but I have yet too experience this myself.

Now comes the big question with the only true answer that anyone will ever find as of now. Will the 2020 iPad Pro finally allow me to leave my laptop behind? The answer is as usual both“Yes” and “No.” Again, it really does depend on what you do with a computer. If you are doing simple things like email, web browsing, writing, or games then you could easily get by with a 10.2 iPad or the 10.5 iPad Air for much cheaper. If you are a photo editor then there are a ton of great apps like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Pixelmator, and Affinity Photo available to get your work done and the power of the iPad Pro will truly help you get it done quickly although the iPad Air has enough power to help you get it done as well. Artists will love the new Apple Pencil and its tap features to change your tool. The older pencil was amazing as well and works with the 10.2 inch and the iPad Air. As for video editors this machine has iMovie for free but more experienced editors will mostly opt for LumaFusion due to its rich features and more professional look. For editing video this is the machine that you want to use. The powerful chip will knockout 4K video with no problem even beating the 13 inch MacBook Pro in export time.

The files app and multitasking is about the same as they ever have been and you still are limited to one login. With all the features on the iPad Pro and its awesome display, I still love my 2018 15” MacBook Pro. I am a user of Final Cut Pro and it is not available on the iPad. The iOS based iPadOS is still the limit for most users that can’t get work done on iPad Pro. Most people still like the the fact that a true laptop comes with a keyboard and trackpad built right in. The apps on a full desktop class OS are more useful and more familiar. Maybe in the future the children growing up in this generation are going to favor a tablet over a laptop or desktop but as for the working folks of today that grew up using a regular system, we stick with what we prefer.

Can iPad Pro 2020 with iPadOS 14 really replace a laptop for most professionals? Find out by reading the article and watching the video on YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ONN 7 inch Tablet Review

I’m Attending Southern New Hampshire University Online

Dollar Shave Club Six Blade Razor